Thursday, December 17, 2009

Last One! :) ... or :(

So, this is it, my final blog. I'd love to say that I will continue to blog after I leave this class, but more than likely, I will probably stop -- at least for now. It's hard for me to blog when I feel I have nothing important to say. And for the time being, I really don't. I learned SO much from this class, and it has been great having all this new technology to work with and cuss at. It's great stuff, and even when it doesn't do what you think it will, there is always a learning experience in there somewhere. So, I guess this blog finale is "ambition blogging," because if there is one main thing I have discovered in this class, it's that I really know now what kind of instructor I want to be some day.

Since I'm going to be teaching college students, I am going to be under pressure to keep up with them. I always hated it when teachers tried to talk about things they new nothing about, and tried to work technology about which they were utterly clueless. I think that's why so many teachers are reluctant to try new things. They stick with what they know, to avoid being laughed at. I really do understand that, and it helps me remind myself not to become that way. I hate being the laughing stock (I know what you're all thinking, and stop it). As obsessed as I am with Second Life right now, I have to remember to not try to use it with my future students. They'll be well into their third lives by then, and will think I'm a dinosaur for bringing it up. It's like those gomer professors that assume because we're younger than them, we automatically like the Backstreet Boys. It isn't right.

I'll admit it - I want to be the cool teacher, the one students invite to go out drinking with them (even though I don't drink - I mean, you all saw what happened when I had the Pepsi, and the cookies, and the taffy... I am still, quite frankly, bouncing off the walls). I want to be like Vicki Davis - there's no way her students could ever find her lame! It's going to be difficult, but I have to make sure to always know more than (or at least as much as) my students, so that when they come to me needing ideas for presentations, I can offer them fresh ideas, and hopefully inspire them. I don't know how you do it, Dr. Z , but rest assured, I will be picking your brain every chance I get!

1 comment:

  1. You are an awesome blogger, Stephanie. Even though you make it out to be "under duress", you are a good writer and are able to make your ponderings interesting.

    Remember that you don't need to know more than your students when it comes to technology. If you require that of yourself, you will ALWAYS be behind your students. Give yourself permission to "NOT know." It will keep you sane and allow you to be on the "bleeding edge" without feeling stupid.

    I look forward to having you pick my brain in the future.

    Z

    ReplyDelete