Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Piggybacking

This week, we're supposed to use a different format again, PLUS refer to another blogger, so I'm going to kill two birds with one stone and piggyback on Vicki Davis' blog: http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com/2006/07/whats-wrong-with-dopa.html. It was really interesting this week. In all my ignorance, I hadn't even heard of DOPA. I'm glad I read her blog, because now I know how much it sucks. It could cause many blogs, wikis and social networking sites to be blocked. I know they are trying to protect kids, but this is just going too far. These sites aren't responsible for kids being targeted by sexual predators and other screwed up sickos. Like Ms. Davis said, the studies never really say where the kids are being approached. Nothing is safe any more. The Internet isn't the only place evil lurks. If parents could see what kids see (and do) at their friends' houses, or at the mall, or the park, etc., they would realize the horrible things they are worried about aren't linked to technology. When I was in high school, I knew kids who got themselves into awful situations, no computers necessary.

It is scary to think these things might be taken out of schools. Kids need to be educated on all the different tools available to them, as well as the dangers that might be out there. In their "real lives," and in their future careers, kids will use all these technologies frequently, so why not give them the opportunity while in school to learn how to make the most if them? I was so excited to read Deb's blog http://djbloomie.blogspot.com/, and learn that her community college composition students are using blogging in their assignments. Imagine how much more difficult it will be for students to come to college without any knowledge of the educational uses of these technologies! I hope this bill doesn't get passed, and that teachers and parents can keep control over educating kids about all the good (and bad) things on the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment